Active Gain for Dynamics and Ribbons
It’s all about gain and impedance. While some of the best sounding microphones out there are low-output dynamics and ribbons, pre-amplification can be challenging due to the gain and impedance requirements. Cloudlifters address this by giving passive microphone signals a major inline boost -up to +25db of ultra-clean gain- while properly loading the microphones’ transformer for optimal performance.
The Cloudlifter® CL-2 is completely self contained, with two independent channels, driven only by the phantom power from your mixer or preamp. Ideal for dynamics and ribbons alike, the CL-2 turns phantom power into the extra gain required for using passive microphones. The immediate dose of extra gain can make even a budget microphone/preamp combination sound clean and professional. For broadcasting and live sound, the active output signal of the CL-2 can prevent added noise over long cable runs. With endless uses, Cloudlifters are quickly becoming a standard workhorse solution for audio and broadcast professionals.
A Must-Have Tool for Dynamics and Ribbons!
Cloudlifter CL-2 Mic Activator is a dual channel, easy to use, compact solution for common audio problems faced in the field and in the studio. Designed for all passive microphones – including ribbons- the CL-2 safely uses any standard phantom powered microphone input device to provide two independent channels of up to +25db of ultra-clean, transparent gain.
Cloudlifters dramatically improve the performance of passive microphone signals by driving stronger, cleaner signals over longer XLR cable runs, making them ideal for broadcast, live, and studio applications. The CL-2 is enclosed in a rugged steel enclosure offering excellent shielding and durability.
Using patent pending technology that keeps the direct audio path free-and-clear of transformers, capacitors, and resistors, the CL-2 houses discrete JFET circuitry that delivers world class, ultra-clean gain while preserving the natural sonic characteristics of the source.
Cloudlifters are recommended for improving the signal to noise ratio and performance of passive microphone/preamp combinations with the following:
- Recording direct into a DAW interface
- noisy or low gain preamps
- mixers/preamps that negatively impact the sound at higher gain setting
- passive ribbon microphones
- low-output dynamic microphones
- miking softer sound sources such as acoustic instruments and voice
- long cable runs (output)
- Gives passive mics up to +25dB additional active output
- Provides 2 distinct stages of ultra-clean gain
- Easy to use self contained design requires only phantom power
- Recommended for use with all passive dynamic microphones
- Compatible with tube, battery, or power supply driven microphones
- Safe for all passive ribbons with no transfer of phantom
- Utilizes Patent Pending Class A, Discrete JFET circuitry
- Ideal impedance loading for optimal performance @3Kohms
- Rugged, road ready and portable, for studio, stage and broadcasting
- Free lifetime limited warranty for parts and labor, with registration
- Handcrafted entirely in the USA
From Cloud Microphones Website. Warranty is valid only if product is registered within 60 days of purchase. Accept as noted, Cloud Microphones warrants its products to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for the life of the product. Cloud Microphones will repair or replace any Cloud Microphones product that fails to meet factory specifications. The ribbon elements are warrantied for a period of two years from the date of purchase. With proper care, your Cloud microphone should last many years before needing any ribbon service. The warranty is not transferable, it is offered only to the original owner. Cosmetic damage and accessory items, such as boxes, are not covered under this warranty. No other warranties are implied. Contact us at to arrange for service and warranty questions.