The MXL R77 is a classic ribbon microphone that delivers unbelievably natural sound and stunning realism to vocal and instrument recordings. Powerful and versatile, the R77 incorporates a Figure-8 polar pattern for extended sweet spots as well as a 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon for smooth lows and natural highs. Manufactured with premium materials, the R77 performs beautifully on vocals, acoustic instruments, strings, horns and can handle the most demanding broadcast applications.
The MXL R77 Ribbon microphone uses an aluminum ribbon transducer which by nature is a bidirectional (figure-8) pickup pattern. A figure-8 pattern will pick up sounds from the front and back sides of the microphone with equal sensitivity while maintaining a large amount of rejection 90° off access. The front of the microphone is indicated by the MXL logo where the audio signal is “in-phase” while the back side has an inverted phase. Ribbon mics typically have a lower output than condenser microphones and may require a preamplifier with a lot of gain. It is highly recommended to use a preamp with low noise, high gain, and an input impedance of 1500 ohms or greater. MXL strongly advises experimentation with placement and isolation requirements with the gain initially set low to avoid possible equipment (and hearing) damage.
MXL is a leading manufacturer of high performance audio products for professionals and recording enthusiasts around the world. MXL’s award-winning solutions continue to astound today’s top artists, engineers, professional producers, and businesses that require sonic perfection on stage, in the studio, and in the conference room.
- Durable, high-quality ribbon microphone for instruments
- Warm sound with a robust low end and a full midrange
- Figure-8 polar pattern that captures instruments and room sound
- High SPL capability—ideal for horns and electric guitars
- Mogami cable and wiring for exceptional audio fidelity
- Type: Ribbon Velocity Microphone
- Ribbon Element: 1.8-micron aluminum ribbon
- Frequency Range: 20Hz -18kHz
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Sensitivity: -55 dB (0 dB=1V/Pa)
- Impedance: 270 ohms
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms
- Max SPL for 0.1% THD: >135 dB @1 kHz
- Size: 65mm x 180mm/2.56 in x 7.09 in
- Weight: 860g/1.9lbs
- Metal Finish: Gold and Chrome